RES - little guy (1 inch) - got out this weekend!

Discussions about turtles.
RedPrincess

Hi there,

I am new to the board. I bought a RES last Friday for my kids...got the \"little\" tank, gravel, fake trees, etc. Kids were thrilled! Probably TOO much. On Saturday afternoon - I am back doing laundry and my son is on the couch saying \"My boy...my boy\". Turns out he got up on the counter, opened the tank - got the turtle out - played with him and then \"lost\" him. Well - \"Franklin\" was found this morning (Monday) by the cat...she didn\'t hurt him...and kept meowing to me to come and get him. I picked him up - thinking he was dead - but he was alive. So I placed him back in his tank and within 2 minutes - he was swimming all around.

Here is my question - did the time out of the water damage him? Should I take him to the vet? What is the water/land ratio for these little guys? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks much!
WlfKnigt
Level 2
Level 2

Heh, Where do you live I can\'t seem to find any baby res for sale?? And also, sometimes letting turtles out is good for them. I let mine out at lease once a day to crawl around but you have to keep a eye on them. They CAN hurt themselves. My turtle once flipped himself to a side and did the Matrix wall walk move. Remeber turtles are ALOT faster them you think. Check if your turtle is bruised or is limping in any way. If not it seems to be acting normally then it should be O.K. Be sure to have a basking area where it can dry off and get some UV rays in because it uses it to process calcium for it\'s shell. Also baby turtles eat more meat when they\'re young so add some cooked but clean meat to hand feed it once in a wile. Turtles have good eyesight so if try to get them to trust your because they will remeber you. Talking to them might help but they don\'t have really good hearing. Enjoy :)
Butterfly Girl#1

Being out of the water probally, inless he was out for a week or something. If he was taking him to the vet won\'t hurt.
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

The most important thing that I learned when we got our baby turtle is to get the right equipment for him. I too go a small set up thinking that it would take a long time to grow. In less than 3 months our turtle has more than doubled in size and I have had to buy a whole new set up for him. This time I was smart and bought everything he would need (ie a 40 gallon tank, ect.) It is so important to have all the necessities like the uv light, basking spot with the light, heater and the like because if you dont take care of him, he wont thrive or worse.
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

I would be very careful with you kids playing with a turtle. Turtles are known to spread salmonella, so I would tell the kids not to play with it. Or closely supervise them, and make sure they wash there hands thoroughly.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!
I think that if your turtle is acting \"normal\" it should be fine. This is a tricky subject because you never know the right answer, different sources will give you differnent answers. The sites that I have been to on the Web have said that water turtles shouldn\'t be ouside of water for more than 2 hours, you may want to just call a vet and get their opinion (I\'ve done that before).
With regards to your children-it\'s true that you should be extremely careful with your kids handling turtles. One day I left my turtles under my nephew\'s care and he forgot to feed them. Needless to say, when he was playing with one of them, they tried to bite his finger off.
Hope this helps. :)

[quote]WlfKnigt wrote:
Heh, Where do you live I can\'t seem to find any baby res for sale??

Young turtles are usually illegal to sell although I don\'t know the laws of all the states. They are illegal exactly because of situations like this. Turtles carry salmonella and children playing with them can die from it.

Everyone, not just children, should be pretty careful about handling turtles. I just assume that mine have salmonella and clean up whenever I touch them or their water/tank/etc.
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

its against federal law to sell any turtle under 4 inch to the public, breeders only with special liscensing.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

I have that licence,so thats a good thing.I thought I should have it just in case but if it is federal law thaks for the info.I realy would sell u a turtle but i hate the way they ship them and i currentally have hatchlings that still have there egg tooth on them.
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

how many hatchlings you have spraggs?
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

about 150-200 + the ones incubating.
  • Information