PARISITES SWIMMING IN WATER!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

I just got the biggest scare when I was watching my turtles swim. I saw what I thought was alot of shedded skin throughtout the water. When I looked closer I noticed it was little tiny swimming white parisites or worms! So little that I had to watch them closely for a minute or so to make sure I wasn\'t seeing things. I also got my husband to confirm. Diffinetely something in the water. I\'m worried for my RES\'s but also for myself! I put my hands in that water everyday (of course I wash my hands afterwords) but that just scares me to death. Please tell me this is something common, even though I\'ve never read anything about this before in the message boards. What should I do? I clean my tank regularly. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!, Kelly
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You need to clean out your tank really well. I would take a stool sample to the vet to determine what kind of parasite it is and what medication to give (certain medications work on certain parasites). If you don\'t eliminate them totally, your turtles will just keep reinfecting themselves.
Kelly7873

I no turtle expert but I\'d be willing to bet they\'re not parasites but just harmless little worms. They\'re probably not in your turtle at all but just living in the aquarium. If you really want to get rid of them you would have to chlorinate your whole system (with your turtle somewhere else of course)which would knock the bacteria out in your filter too. I wouldn\'t worry and would just do a general clean up and add a couple of guppies to keep their population down.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i had that problem too
my local pet store owner told me they are from gravel and they are harmless and they are called white worm not parasites
EarthVsJazz

Ok, so I\'ve heard and experienced alot of things with these white worm things. On one acount I was told there some type of lilly fly and that they resemble mosquitoe larvae. And that they won\'t hurt the turtles. Now as I was doing a full cleaning of the tank and filter I found little red worms. Now I know what I think it is. But I want a second opinion. Good/bad. Should I be worried.
Thanks.

- Ed
  • Information