Shell Issues

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have an adult mississippi map turtle that I have had for the past 3 years. (Before that I don\'t actually know who had it, I got it from a friend, not a store).

She has always been healthy. She has a healthy apetite, and is very active. She basks often and swims around her tank when she is not basking. She also begs for food often.

She is housed in a 20 gallon tank that is filled up most of the way. The filter is much more than adequate, it is a filstar xp2 (rated for about 8-10x the volume of water in the tank). She has a basking area with a heat lamp and a UVB lamp. The water temp is kept in the mid 70\'s. I change the water often and clean out the filter once every few months.

My problem is with the apearance of her shell. She has many areas of white, in fact they seem to be multiplying as time goes on. IT IS NOT ROT!!! Her shell is very hard to the touch and does not smell at all where the white spots are. There is nothing that comes off when it is scratched and brushed with a soft brush. There are no soft spots.

Is it possible that her basking spot cen be too hot? Can her shell be burned? I recently changed her bulb to a lower wattage because I realized that the temp was too high (I raised the water level making the basking spot closer to the bulb). Is there something else that it can be? It is really all over her shell. Can hard water make calcium deposits like on fingernails?

Please help. My next stop is the vet, but I am having trouble finding a herp vet in my immediate area.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

snoopy wrote:
I have an adult mississippi map turtle that I have had for the past 3 years. (Before that I don\'t actually know who had it, I got it from a friend, not a store).

She has always been healthy. She has a healthy apetite, and is very active. She basks often and swims around her tank when she is not basking. She also begs for food often.

She is housed in a 20 gallon tank that is filled up most of the way. The filter is much more than adequate, it is a filstar xp2 (rated for about 8-10x the volume of water in the tank). She has a basking area with a heat lamp and a UVB lamp. The water temp is kept in the mid 70\'s. I change the water often and clean out the filter once every few months.

My problem is with the apearance of her shell. She has many areas of white, in fact they seem to be multiplying as time goes on. IT IS NOT ROT!!! Her shell is very hard to the touch and does not smell at all where the white spots are. There is nothing that comes off when it is scratched and brushed with a soft brush. There are no soft spots.

Is it possible that her basking spot cen be too hot? Can her shell be burned? I recently changed her bulb to a lower wattage because I realized that the temp was too high (I raised the water level making the basking spot closer to the bulb). Is there something else that it can be? It is really all over her shell. Can hard water make calcium deposits like on fingernails?

Please help. My next stop is the vet, but I am having trouble finding a herp vet in my immediate area.
  • Information