New Turtle doesn\'t seem happy...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jennandre

Hi Turtle Lovers!
We recently got a turtle (one week ago), and thought we made the right set-up, but have some concerns:
1. His shell is shedding a little. It seems like we maybe need a better light w/ UV (we just have a basking light) so we\'ll get that. Any other suggestions?
2. I hate to admit this, but he (Junior) seems really uncomfortable, and doesn\'t like to be picked up. He hisses sometimes. We want to bring him out of his aquarium to play, but he just stays as far away as possible. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make a new turtle (he\'s about 5-6 inches, so he\'s not a baby) happy? Any suggestions on bringing him out to play or to give him \"exploration time?\" Thanks for any suggestions!!

Welcome!!! YOu\'ll also need a UVB light. Make sure it says UVB, not UVA. This provides vitamins and etc. for their shell that normally would have been gotten from the sun. You\'ll also need a filter rated for 3x the tank size (turtles are dirty) and a heater to regulate the temp. HOw big is your set-up? The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per inch of shell. So, a 5-6 inch turtle needs 50-60 gallons of living space. Daunting, I know. But there are ways to make this affordable. Just be creative. Aquatic turtles love to swim so they need plenty of water. Don\'t be afraid to go deep, because they love deep water. You need a basking area. This link will give you some ideas. Again, be creative. http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... ing%20Area

It will also give you lots of info.
As far as handling, it sound like whoever had this turtle before you did not socialize it al atll. My turtles actually TRY to get my attention and love to be picked up. Herman even likes to have his head and neck rubbed :) Patience is key. He will learn to trust you. Feeding him only in a different container will help. He will learn to associate you with food, something all turtles love. And soon he\'ll be happy to see you. Plus, it helps keep the tank clean. YOu can also put him in another container outside so he can get some natural sunlight. Most people who do this buy a kiddie pool for thier turtles. Just put a little water in there to keep him hydrated and make sure he is safe from predators like cats, dogs, raccoons, etc... The sunlight will also help with the shedding, which is normal. Just make sure his shell does not smell funny, is nice and firm and does not have anything growing on it. Any other questions, just ask. You can also get great advice on this site http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?

Good luck!!

I forgot to ask, what kind of turtle did you get?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you\'ve only had him a week, that\'s not very long. Turtles take time to adjust to new environments, and depending on the turtle, some take longer than others. Give him time.
  • Information