Help! Dog bites turtle

Discussions about turtles.
Juliebeth7

I need someone anyone to email me and tell me what to do for my red earred slider turtle. I found one of my dogs with him in it\'s mouth and there are puncture wounds on the turtle\'s shell. It is bleeding also. I need to know what to do pronto to help my turtle. IOh gosh it\'s not looking good. He\' bleeding bad and I don\'t know if he\'s going to make it. I have 2 other turtles in the tank with him and it\'s insisting on being under the basking light. Should I put liquid bandaid on his shell? Please email me someone anyone pronto. [email protected]
angela15

do you have an emergency vet? I think there is a link on the home page that tell syou how to deal with bites. Pressure to stop bleeding and betadine to help with infection.
CODY S
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by CODY S on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You need to get your turtle to a herp vet as soon as possible. If you don\'t have one, try www.arav.org/USMembers/htm
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Also, for emergency first aid, look at http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/firsaid.htm It contains information on bleeding shells. If he\'s as bad as you described, however, he still needs to be seen by a herp vet. Good luck.
cooter1
Level 1
Level 1

i know \"CODYS\" well, amd what he said was true. what i do want to say, though, is that
if you think you know what you are doing, but dont, and take care of the turtle at home without going to a herptolojist vet, or an emergency vet, your turtle (sadly) might
die, like \"CODYS\"`s tutle did. Thankfully,
he has 1 more RES turtle at home, that plays
in the pen cody built for them.
CODY S
Level 2
Level 2

Acually it is a slider turtle!
cooter1
Level 1
Level 1

CODY S wrote:
Acually it is a slider turtle!

i said that you have ANOTHER, RES at home, not that it was an RES!
  • Information