Can indoor turtles go outdoors all year?

Discussions about turtles.
cake4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone... I\'m looking at getting 2 red ear sliders and 2 mississipi map turtles, as an adoption from someone else. I don\'t have room in the house for a huge tank, like what they would need. She\'s giving me a 55 gallon to go with them, but that just isn\'t big enough. Their shells are about 6-8 inches long, each. Anyway, we\'re willing to build a pond in our yard to house them, give them all the things that turtles need outside, areas to bask, shaded, and sunny areas, places to dig, and places to rest in the water, and still get their heads out. It\'s a bog project, and it\'s above ground, with a hex shaped pond area that\'s two sides are about 3.5 ft long, and the shorter sides, 4, are about 2.5 ft each. so, 20 ft all the way around. it\'s going to have 2 spillways to move the water around, and a 1ft ring of dirt and sand, with a fence, outlining the pond. Egads, when you put it like that, it seems like a lot more. As you can see, I put a lot of thought into this. =)

BUT, I was just told that indoor turtles can never be made into outdoor turtles. Is that true? I still plan to feed them, but I wamt them to have the added space of the great outdoors. Any help on this?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

What area of the country do you live in? Unless you live in a warm area, mississippi maps won\'t be able to overwinter. I have, however, heard of people who\'ve left res out in the winter in southern NY, and they usually survive.

If the \"bog\" is going to be above the ground, you need to make sure that you are not in an area where it will freeze, since the entire amount of water will be above the \"freeze line\".
  • Information