links to death bowls

Discussions about turtles.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have heard many people on this board express their anger at people who sell turtles and \"Death Bowls\". I was just wondering why there are links to sites where hatchlings are sold and deathbowls are sold as homes for them. One site describes one of the death bowls as a home that is appropriate for a 5 inch turtle.

Am I missing something?
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

Dude it\'s a JUMBO Lagoon. Maybe its bigger than ordinary lagoons???
deesygirl

:( I just checked out some of those sites. While some were not bad (repti bid), the others are terrible. When you set up a message forum with the google ads you have no choice in what they place up there. They randomly find matching sites from there lists.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Since I have been a member of this forum for a few years and had never seen the ads before yesterday, I was very surprised to see them. If there is no way to control what is advertised, I guess we just have to make sure to keep the word out about the fact that turtles need rather elaborate homes, and that \"lagoons\" or \"deathbowls\" are not appropriate.

Thank you for your response. My post was meant in no way to discredit the integrity of the content of this site as a whole, just to point out the irony of the presence of links that advertise products that are not in line with the purpose of the site.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I had a little lagoon for my res for the first couple of weeks I had her I think that it is fine to keep them in it when they are small for a short period of time to keep a close eye on them. The bowl should be big enough for the turtle to move around in and provide a good basking platform, which is a problem in most of them. Mine stayed in the bowl for about 2 weeks then I moved her to a large container, a little while after that she was in a ten gallon tank, now she is in a 30 gallon tank and is happy and healthy. The bowls are not sutible long term homes for turtles I think that is why so many die in them the bigger the habitate the better. Many places sell them as a starter kit Which I feel is fine(it is only ment for a few days), but you need to move them as soon as they out grow it. I dont think these are death bowls I think people need to use their own judgement when it comes to things like this, if you feel that it is too small them move the turtle to a larger environment right away, if you feel that the turle will be ok for a week or two in the bowl then leave it. I mean you know whether or not it can move around or bask you can see these things, just use your own head :) A good idea would be to have the set up you want before you get the pet that way you don\'t run into too many problems.
  • Information