land water land water ???

Discussions about turtles.
keri
Level 1
Level 1

is a red-eared slider considered a land or water turtle?
exactly how does one define a land and water turtle?

and also... are tortoises strictly water turtles? what\'re the differences between turtles, terrapins, and tortoises? i\'ve never quite got this clear...
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

all i know is about red eared sliders. they are land AND water turtles. that means they can swim and they enjoy swimming and they only eat food in water but they also like to get out of the water and bask (dry off their shells and body)
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

They are aquatic turtles and need mostly water in their tanks They come on land usually just to bask but they rarley ever trvel far away from water becasue they need to keep themselve hydrated. They absorb the water through their shells.
Tortoise are land turtles they can not swim. Terrapins are mostly water turtles that you can find in swammpy areas. Water turtles Have webbed feet these help them to swim, land turtles do not have webbed feet. I had a box turtle which I am pretty sure is a land turtle we put him into a kiddie pool and he swam around for a little while. Not all land turtles can swim though:)

hope I could help
  • Information