suggestions on light, filter, etc.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
keri
Level 1
Level 1

i don\'t have a filter for my turtle\'s tank, so i don\'t keep it in there. instead, i keep it in a very small cage. does anybody have suggestions on a good filter made for turtle tanks (i have fish too, and it doesn\'t seem that those types of filters would work for shallow water...)? also, i keep my turtle by a window for sunlight, but i was reading that the sunlight through a window is not sufficient. there isn\'t sunlight everyday, so how much natural sunlight is sufficient for a turtle? the UVA/UVB lights sold in stores always seem to die easily. if somebody knows of a good brand, could you tell me what it is?

-meanwhile... still checking out vets and other help for the ear abscess...

thank you
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I really hope you get your turtle some proper medical help for his abcess soon, especially after reading your very kind response to Benc...
Last edited by mariza on Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keri
Level 1
Level 1

-doip! i\'m an idiot... i guess i should first take a look at the section titled setup/supplies... : \\.... and i also guess this type of question should be with the indoor setup questions... sorry...
Last edited by keri on Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I believe the brand that we use is called \"Glo lamps\". You can find them at any large pet store in the reptile section. They should also be able to help you pick out a good filter. We only spend about $4 a month, if that, on our lights and we have a heat lamp also. So they are not expensive bulbs to replace. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give your turtle more room to swim. They need to swim and they love it! I promise you that you will see a huge change in the overall disposition of your turtle if you do. We use a large clear plactic storage tote for our turtles instead of an aquarium. Cheaper and lighter. Plus it is easier to clean. Just be creative and make sure it is big enough. If you suspend the basking area from the top as we did it will give your turtle more room to swim. Please take my advice and let your baby swim like he was intended to.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you\'re spending $4 for a light per month, do you mean that\'s what you pay for the electricity? If that\'s how much the bulb itself costs, then it\'s not a UVB light, which your turt absolutely needs if he cannot get access to unfiltered sunlight on a regular basis (possible to do by bringing him outside in warm weather, but he\'ll still need a UVB light in cooler months/winter). He needs a UVB light to create Vit D3, which with the calcium in his diet helps keep his shell hard and healthy. And he needs a basking light for a heat source (regular UVB lights don\'t give off sufficient heat--they\'re flourescent) to keep the basking area 85-90F. The basking light can be from a pet store, but a regular incandescent light bulb will work just as well. UVB lights to look for include Reptisun (tube), ESU Coil Lamp (screws into a regular-type socket) and Repti-Glo. Whatever you buy, make sure the package says that the light emits UVB rays--just saying full spectrum is not enough.

I went to Petsmart and checked. The brand we use is actually called \"Repti-Glo\", like the one you listed. I think the reason it is so much cheaper than the ones most people probably use is because we use the smaller bulbs, but more of them. Our tank hoods use two small bulbs instead of one larger bulb. So, we need two each but they are less expensive. I checked, and they are listed as full spectrum uva/uvb bulbs. Our heat lamp bulb is a \"Day-Glo\". Sorry about the confusion over the name. I only go to the store every few months and I stock up, so I couldn\'t remember the exact name.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Ah--I see. There seems to always be confusion over UVA/UVB issue, that I just thought I\'d check.:-) Thanks for the info.
CODY S
Level 2
Level 2

Go to www.artsofnature.com To browse or buy.
Last edited by CODY S on Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you read some back posts, you\'ll see that this place does not have a good reputation.
  • Information