Please help! I just found a turtle!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
benc

I live in central Virginia and just found a small turtle (about the size of a silver dollar). It has orange on the bottom and looks like yellow stripes on the face and red stripes on the legs.
I\'d like to keep it as a pet, but don\'t know how to \"house\" it or feed it.
PLEASE HELP!
keri
Level 1
Level 1

i am not a turtle expert, but i would like to say that before you decide to keep the turtle, if you do so, make sure you are willing to take good care of it for a long time. it\'s sad when people are first willing to care for something, but over time, their care diminishes and they do something they should not do...
i am only saying this for the best for the turtle, please think it over :)

I agree with the previous post. Make sure that this is a commitment that you are willing to make. Turtles require a long term commitment. But they are wonderful pets for the right people. As far as housing, you\'ll find great advice under setup/supplies. You can do as I did and use a plastic storage tote instead of an aquarium. This is much cheaper and lighter, but still gives the turtle plenty of room. We have one that is clear so we can still see our turtles. It is hard to find one that is big enough, though. We cut out the top and suspended a piece of plactic (a tupperware lid) from the ceiling and placed store bought rocks ontop for his basking area. This left a lot more space for swimming than if we had stacked up the rocks. I personally think that all water turtles should be given plenty of room to swim. They love to swim and it is great for their health. They will be much happier. And don\'t forget to get a filter. Otherwise you\'ll constantly be changing his water. Ours have a heat lamp and uv lights ontop also so they are warm and get their proper vitamins from the light. You can get the specail bulbs at most large pet stores and they really are not too expensive. It\'s the initial set-up that\'s expensive. I think I pay $3.99 each for my bulbs and we go thru about 3 total every 3 months. Just look for them in the reptile section. Ours are called \"Glo\" lamps, I believe. I hope some of this helps and good luck with whatever decision you do make.
  • Information