a few varied questions

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
LordoftheBeans
Level 1
Level 1

I have two baby RES\'s, and my first question concerns one of them. I have a 10 gallon tank with a basking rock that has suction cups that attach to the sides of the tank. the tank seems to have plenty of room for both of them, but I usually only see one of them basking. I know that doesn\'t necessarily mean the other ISN\'T basking, but alot of times when i see him he\'s in the water under the basking rock. Physically the rock is big enough for both of them, but I think there is a chance he might still think it\'s too crowded with the other one on there. Is that a reasonable conclusion? Should I think about getting a bigger basking rock? I have a 10 gallon tank, so anything bigger will probably tank up a good portion of the tank. I can post a picture of the tank when I get home.

My second question is about the lighting. I have both the basking lamp and the UVB 5.0 bulb from Zoomed. I usually leave them both on all the time. How long should I really leave them on during the day? Are there certain specific times of the day when they should be off/on?
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

About the lights, I have two timers. One for my 5.0 lamp and other one for my basking light. My 5.0 UVB lamp is turned on from 8:00 a.m and is turned off at 9:00 p.m. (the timer does that work). The basking light, i programmed two periods for it, one period goes from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (they eat at 10:00 a.m. so they like basking after eating). The other cycle goes from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. They got accostumed to these schedules and they are really happy. This schedule also helps you to save energy :) Hope it helps.
Last edited by Kantele on Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordoftheBeans
Level 1
Level 1

Also...my turtles appear to be shedding at the moment, and I noticed some white residue on the bottom of their shell. I assume it\'s part of the shedding process. Am I right?
Last edited by LordoftheBeans on Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information