Turtle stopped eating pellets

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jinzana

I would appreciate any advice that you can give me!
Last edited by jinzana on Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Your turtle sounds like he\'s trying to wait you out until you give him chicken. If you give in to him, you won\'t be doing him any favors. Chicken is high in protein (as is other animal matter like shrimp, krill, etc.). A diet too high in protein will lead to shell deformities, tax the kidneys and ultimately shorten his life.
He needs a more balanced and varied diet, and at 2 years+, he should be eating plant matter much more than you say he is (they become more omnivorous as they mature). Take a look at www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/aquaticdiet.htm for feeding ideas.

Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value; if you want to give him lettuce, give romaine or red-leaf, which are somewhat better. Also try aquatic plants like anachris, duckweed, water hyacinth, etc.

I\'d stop with the chicken and just give the pellets along with veggies/aquatic plants. He may try to continue to wait you out and not eat for a few days, but if he\'s healthy, he won\'t starve (and he\'ll probably look at you really pitifully--be strong!). Keep the chicken as a very occasional treat along with other high protein foods.

Don\'t know how much or how often you\'re feeding him, but after a year of age he needs his turtlefood every other day. Feed him an amount that owould fit into his head, not including the neck. You can give him some veggies to nibble on daily, however.
jinzana

I have been feeding him once a day and I put food in for about 10 minutes and then take it away. I was giving him pellets first and then added the chicken after a few minutes. When I first started doing this method he was eating both but now he will just take a bit of the pellet and then spit it out and as soon as I put the chicken in he will eat that up without any fuss.

I guess that I will have to feed him less often and just stop giving him the chicken altogether. He is still very healthy...I just don\'t want to cause him to get sick! I just figured that he was crazy about the chicken because he had only been given pellets for 2+ years.

Are there any vegetables that your turtles are particularly wild about? I think that I have a picky eater on my hands....

Thanks for the quick response!
sueliz

My Redear sliders\'rear feet are swollen and his tail too! What can I do to help it?
sueliz

My Redear sliders\'rear feet are swollen and his tail too! What can I do to help it?
jinzana

jinzana
Last edited by jinzana on Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

My turtle started eating veggies/aquatic plants when he was less than a year old (but he still enjoys the occasional piece of chicken, etc.), and I rotate between several brands of pellets as well for variety. You\'re going to have to try things and see (check out those links for possibilties/good things to try). My turtle does like anachris, red-leaf lettuce, dandelions, squash, carrots, collards, but will try almost anything I give him. Today he ate small pieces of red bell peppers and alfalfa/clover sprouts along with a few mini crickets dipped in calcium powder.

Will he eat from your hand? If so, try to get the scent of something he likes (i.e. chicken) on something like a thin piece of carrot and feed it to him. (If you can, mash/mix a little chicken with some grated carrot, for example, and see if he takes some of it.
jinzana

Hi,

Tonight, I put him in his feeding area and I gave him the pellets which he ignored and I cut up little peices of apple. He seemed interested in them...probably because they are the same color as cooked chicken. He tried one and that was it. Then he went around to each peice of apple, I guess smelling it to see if its chicken. He ignored all other peices of apple in the water.

What kind of squash does your turtle like....butternut squash, acorn squash? I\'m assuming uncooked squash....

I will have to try your suggestion of mashing the carrots and chicken together.

How long do you think he can go without eating anything?

I don\'t understand why he doesn\'t seem interested in any of the fruits or vegetables that I put in his water...perhaps because he hasn\'t had any for the last couple of years.....
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

My turtle especially likes a squash called kabocha (it looks like a miniature pumpkin). And he prefers it lightly steamed (spoiled boy that he is). He won\'t eat it if it\'s raw.

Does he like tuna? I read recently of someone who drained the water from a can of water-packed tuna (not packed in oil), tore up some red-leaf lettuce/collards/dandelions (small pieces of squash, carrot peels, etc. would work as well, I think) and let them marinate in the drained tuna water overnight. The scent of the tuna should remain on the veggie long enough for him to smell it and take a bite. You could also dip his pellets in it as well, but couldn\'t leave them in very long, as they\'d soften. If you can get the scent of the chicken on the food, that would work as well.

It can take a while for a turtle to accept a new kind of food, particularly if he\'s been used to eating one kind (a good reason to provide variety so he doesn\'t get fixated on only one food). The trick is to mix a little of the new food with something he likes and increase the proportion of the new food and decrease the amount of the favorite food until he accepts the new food (his pellets) by itself. It can take a little patience and time. If he\'s otherwise healthy, he can go for a week or more without eating (hopefully he\'ll wise up before then).
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

my turtle stopped eating pellets too.
he didn\'t eat in days.
i did try carrots and he ate them,
i also gave him corn ,he ate that too
and i gave him pieces of potato,but he didn\'t eat it so..i think my turtle doesn\'t like the new brand of sticks i got him
  • Information