ghost shrimp

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

I bought Mr. T some ghost shrimp today and tonight cannot find them in his tank. I\'m guessing he ate them. My question is are they safe? Also, how often can I feed them to him? Thanks.

Boom
deesygirl

I am sure your turtle thanks you. :) Ghost shrimp do not have much nutritionaly. You would be better off giving him some freeze dried shrimp as a snack. Be careful not to give to often or you can end up with a finiky eater on your hands. :)

Yes, I bet he is very thankful! My turtles love ghost shrimp. Unfortunately I didn\'t realize they were eating them unitl I had bought about 30. I just thought they were hiding behind the rocks or I couldn\'t see them because they are clear. They do help a great deal with tank cleanliness, if they aren\'t eaten too quickly. We actually have a couple that have managed to survive 2 whole months!! :) Anyway, they don\'t really seem to affect our turtles\' eating habits. But I don\'t give them to them very often. I was given some great snack advice a couple of weeks ago. \" Aquatic plants are good, as are leafy green veggies, especially dandelions (unsprayed), collards, red- and romaine lettuce, duckweed, endive, kale, chicory. They can be offered daily. Stay away from iceberg lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cabbage. Keeping some cuttlebone (without the hard backing) floating in the tank as a calcium supplement is also good.\" My turtles seem to love the changes in their diets. My turtles actually seem to prefer the water plants. I buy a variety so that they don\'t get bored. My fish also seem to like them.
  • Information