RES Hatchling, will not eat :(

Discussions about turtles.
HeatherPlaceRescue
Level 1
Level 1

My cousin was sold 4 red ear slider hatchlings at the mall (GRRR)and so far one has died, and I have the other who is sick. It hasnt eaten since we\'ve gotten it about 2 weeks ago, and it is very weak. I\'ve offered it every food under the sun, but still it refuses to eat. The vet said it can be no more than a few weeks old, and she have me a syringe to force feed it. It refuses to open its mouth though. It has the proper lighting, water temp. and basking light/area, but still it wont eat. Its been moved around alot in the past week, I dont know what else to do to help it survive.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

wow. well, make sure its shell doesnt get soft. so keep the heat and UVB on 12-14 hours a day. put it in water. they need water. not too much though since its a baby. just cover like to the top of the shell so it can stick its head out. try feeding it different things like try vegetables or else fish (turtles love fish especially guppies) or else cut up earthworms or cut up crickets. good luck with it. and keep me updated. also try buying some vitamin powder so it still gets the things it needs to survive.
deception
Level 1
Level 1

how long have you had him he could just not be used to you. It took my little one almost a week before he would eat and to start i had to put him in his own little tank put 3 kinds of food in it and leave the room if he knew i was looking at him he refused.
after a few days he started eating with me around and now he eats in the regualar tank with the other. just give him some time. and good luck
  • Information