help my turtle is sick

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
royalone
Level 1
Level 1

hello, My turtle is not acting right he hasnt eaten anything in 5 days, i feed him wax worms (bee-moth) and he loves them he would eat 2 a day sometimes 3. but for the last 5 days he has not eaten anything i tried putting luttuce, pelets and nothing now he is hanging his head and his back legs are like puffing out and the width of his shell seems to be fatter. it is hard to put it in words. if anyone has any advice i would really appriecate it.
karen
deesygirl

How old is your turtle and what sex? It almost sounds as if your turtle has become egg bound and needs the service of a vet. BTW, females do not need males to lay eggs, just to fertalize them. :)
royalone
Level 1
Level 1

my turtle is about 5 months old and i dont know how to tell if its male or female. It is barely moving.
deesygirl

Sounds like an impaction. Do you have gravel in your tank? If so your turtle may have eaten some and the gravel did not pass and is now impacted in the intestine. He needs to be seen by a vet. Here is the information, from this site, regaurding this
http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/first_aid.php#13
royalone
Level 1
Level 1

thank-you for your replies my turtle didn\'t make it. I got a new one he is much bigger hes like 3 and a half inches across.
thanks again
karen
brittney

royalone wrote:
hello, My turtle is not acting right he hasnt eaten anything in 5 days, i feed him wax worms (bee-moth) and he loves them he would eat 2 a day sometimes 3. but for the last 5 days he has not eaten anything i tried putting luttuce, pelets and nothing now he is hanging his head and his back legs are like puffing out and the width of his shell seems to be fatter. it is hard to put it in words. if anyone has any advice i would really appriecate it.
karen
  • Information