dirty tank

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
turtlequeen of kathleen
Level 1
Level 1

i have a ten gallon take with a small turtle in it (about one inch) i change the water and gravel about once a month, but it starts growing alge in a week and gets nasty. it has a filter. some kind of carbon rock kind?! do i need to just change the filter or is there some kind of chemical i can get? thank you.
MyBuddyandMe
Level 1
Level 1

change the filter every time you change the tank water.... and get a alge eater i had a ten gal with my Slider when he was yonger w/ alge eater they got togeather just fine... along with cleaning the tank he cleaned my turtle also...
deesygirl

You need to change the water every week. Turtles are very dirty and need fresh water more frequently than other water pets. Also your filter should be rated at 3x the tank size. So you will need a filter capable of cleaning a 30 gal tank. Chemicals that keep alge from growing are very hard on your turtles health, so I don\'t reccomend using them.
marbar
Level 1
Level 1

I aggree, you need to clean them once a week or elce bactrea may grow in the tank.
  • Information