What Turtle would winter over in Pond in Virginia ??

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
jenhoss68

Hi, I have a 100 gallon pond and want to start a turtle pond and have a large area I can dedicate for them. Can I winter over a Red ear turtle?? or any other in Virgina? Thanks :)
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

I have a female RES in an outdoor pond. I also live in Virginia. She has gone through 2 winters outside with no problems. Around oct or november she will stop eating and get kind of sluggish which is a sign she is ready to hibernate because the temps are getting cooler. When i see this behavior i fill the bottom of my pond with play sand. This is so she can dig herself in to hibernate. I fill bottom with about an inch to 2 inches of this sand. A couple of times the ponds surface got iced over so i had to go outside and break up the ice with a broom handle. It is important that the pond not ice over. As long as you have properly fed your RES through the summer and is in good health you should not have a problem. My turtle however is about 3 years old. When she was a small hatchling i kept her inside. I am not sure if baby turtles would do good outside during winter.Good luck, Kelly
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

It is kelly again. I just had another thought. It might depend on where in Virginia you live. I am not familiar with temps in other parts of the state. I live in Virginia Beach. For more specific info you could call local pet stores or vet clinics that handle reptiles. Kelly
  • Information