strange questions

Discussions about turtles.
deception
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 RES one 3 yr old overweight <he’s currently on a diet> and one very tinny little baby <about the size of quarter> that I just acquired from … I know… a pet store. The little one has a soft shell. But I did some reading and I went and got a good reptile light <UVB> I’m using vitashell on him and the water temp is 83f for him, he’s also very active so hopefully he will pull though. But he’s not eating. I’m wondering if he’s maybe still using up the yoke from birth? I don’t know how long it lasts or really how old he is.

The 3 yr old like I said has recently been put on a diet. His legs wont fit in his shell when his heads in so its about time. I just can’t help feeding him when he begs but I’m working on that. Anyways to the real question. I’ve had him his whole life so I’m used to him shedding and banging around to scratch himself. But he’s shedding a huge amount this year to the point where the tank is full of his old skin its translucent and thin but the shutes off his shell are brownish around the edges. And he wont stop running along the edge of the tank from morning till I turn his light off he does this. Maybe he’s hit maturity? And his hormones are kicking in ?
Any suggestions on how to get him to calm down or get the baby eat would be great.
Thanks
Dez
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

i dont know much about shedding.. my baby RES shed a little here and there. all i know is that they should not shed thick or too much. if hes about 3 he might be maturing because boys usually mature around 3-5 year of age. but i dont know if they should shed that much or if the deges should be brown. but good luck and keep me updated
deception
Level 1
Level 1

Just a bit of an update
the little one is doing great eating tons : P
just needed lots of time to settle in
and avery the other turtle is not shedding anymore.
I found him pooping out chunks of gravel so i took all the gravel out and replaced it with those clear rocks you put in fish tanks
now he cant eat them anymore and he loves to push them around
so i dont know if that was why he was shedding but its stoped either way
but he still acts crazy and wont stop trying to get out of the tank
guess you cant win them all : P
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information