Soft Shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turtlefostermom

I am handling foster care for 2 res. 2 have already died with soft shells (1 prior to being in my care the 2nd 2 weeks after moving in). The original 2 are now showing signs of soft shells. Help! The tank gets lots of sunlight and has an additional regular light. The filter is working well and they have a small area to get out of the water. Can I save the remaining babies?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Make sure you get a uvb light and keep the temperature 5 degrees above normal. I have also heard that people give their turtle polyvsol baby vitamins or pedialyte to help their turtles get better quicker. Make sure the water is kept warm as well and feed them well. a trip to the vet may be in order if they do not start to improve.
Good luck
turtlefostermom

Thank you. I will do all of that. I have done a partial water change. Is it necessary or helpful to do a complete tank cleaning?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sunlight shining into a tank will not help your turtles\' shells--the glass (from the window, from the tank) blocks UVB rays. They need a UVB light.

Also, increase their intake of calcium with a powdered supplement (moisten the pellets sprinkle it on and handfeed them to your turtles. If you can\'t handfeed them, put some powder in a bag, add the moistened pellets and shake well. Let the pellets dry so that they absorb some of the powder and so the powder sticks to them. Then feed them to your turtles. Make sure the powder says it contains no phosphorus. If they\'re being fed a lot of animal matter (high in phorphorus), cut back on it. Too much phosphorus in the diet will prevent calcium from being absorbed. If they don\'t improve, take them to a herp vet.
  • Information