UH OH! ~refer to previous question- ESPECIALLY MARIZA

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

hey ok im updating on my last message. im afraid that it must have been them fighting for dominence becauseabout 30 minutes later they were all hanging on to the edge of the basking area and one was half on it half off so another came close and tried to climb over him to get on and sniffed his foot and then bit it!!!!! :( so i think theyre getting agressive. what should i do? im going to try to buy an even bigger tank if thats the case. i hope i dont have to seperate them though because its too expensive for 2 tank! so what should i do. should i watch them more, take it as mating but fighting with another one, or seperate them somehow into 2 smaller tanks?? thnx
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, I can\'t remember, but do you have 4 turtles in one container? How big is it and how big are your turtles? If they\'re getting aggressive, you should separate them. If you get a bigger tank/container, think 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell, lengthwise (two 2-inch turtles need a 40 gallon-tank, for example). If they aren\'t separated and the aggression continues, somebody\'s going to get hurt.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

yeh i have 4 baby RES that are about an inch each and right now i have a 20 gallon tank but im heading to the store today or tomarow to get a 40 or 50 gallon. its really alot more expensive than i thought and i dont want to get a rubbermaid because its just not the same and when i tried rubbermaid my turtles didnt like it very much. ok thanks for your help. i think it\'s also because there is a bit of a size difference. 2 of them RARELY EAT if ever. and i take them out of the tank to eat and put them all in seperate containers. 2 of them only eat 1/2 of a pellet so now i feed them a multiple number of times per day so they get the right amount in a day. the other 2 are big eaters. especiall ythe agressive one. they eat about 3-4 pellets a day and if i gave them more, then they would definately eat it. but they are about an inch and a half each while the small ones are still 7/8 of an inch. the 2 bigger ones tend to stay together and the smaller ones do sometimes but they small ones are usually loners by themselves.

ok i have one more question. would it be possible for me to tell what sex the 2 bigger ones are? theyre almost 2 inches. also, do they have to be 5 years old for a female and 3 years old for a male to mate or as long as they are 4 inches its ok? i heard that if theyre the right size they can mate.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information