basking

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
joey

Do all turtle need basking..coz i keep themin water .all the time...n know...they have soft shell...n the shel have change colour n is have one dark spot....what led to it?
pls reply mi asap
thanks
slmjTURTLES
Level 1
Level 1

YES! all turtles need basking! search this site for detailed info, such as environmental set-up of your turtles. you will need a basking light and a UVB light...these are basic turtles necessities!
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

I have a heating lamp but it's kind bright and I don't want it to keep my baby turtles awake all the time, do they mind the constant light?
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

no, have day and night times
Fops
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about basking lamps and uvb lamps.. I just bought a basking lamp.. It has 100 watt and it's an incandescent Broad Spectrum. Is that good? And.. I try to put them in the sun if there is any since it's starting to get cold now..
I was wondering if anyone could advice me of a type of uvb light.

Thanks.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

I think the Repti-Sun 5.0 by ZooMed is good, not cheap but they have the right amount of UVB and UVA. You still do need a separate basking lamp because the Repti-Sun does not produce heat. If anyone feel otherwise, please let me know.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

they do need seperate heat. thanks for pointing that out. I keep my light (not basking lamp) on all night. They dont know any different. They just tuck their heads into their shell for a nights sleep.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

So, it's okay to keep that UVB light on all night and not worry them getting no sleep?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

perfectly fine! they know when they need sleep or not. they are not like us, they only take short intervals for sleeping periods and then are up and running again. go ahead and leave it on, they may feel like taking a bask while your snoozing.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

I keep my UVB light fixture right on top of my tank(about 6 or 7 inches away from the turtles). Do you think that's too close, because it's been almost three weeks, and they're still acting weired...always hiding and refuse to eat...
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

Yes turtles need to bask!!! And you should also put a calcium block in their water. Dandilions have lots of calcium too. and you need to get a UVB light for them to put above their basking spot to help prevent infections.
P.S the calcium makes the shells harder, and you might also want to take him or her to the vet to make sure the infection doesn't get any worse.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry to kind of cut off your question, i just read the original message so i didn't know i was cutting you off untill i had already sent it.
  • Information