Turtle born without an eye?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
USCSTEF

I have two little sliders that I\'ve had since early February. One of them is about one inch long and is as cute as can be... but he seems to have been born with only one eye. The other turtle\'s eyes are both raised off of his head, but the little one has one normal-looking eye (assuming the bigger turtle\'s eyes are normal) and one that is flat to his head... it doesn\'t look like it is swollen shut, because it is flat to his head, but I\'m not sure. Is it possible that he was just born with one eye? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for your help :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

He could have been born with one eye (or lost it through an accident in shipping, etc.). If you`re really concerned, you could take him to a herp vet. Given good living conditions, however, he should do fine with only one eye (some people keep turtles who can`t see at all). You may have to position his food so he can see it better and maybe make some adjustments to his set-up if it looks like he needs them. But if he`s healthy, I wouldn`t worry.

He sounds like a sweet little thing. The best of luck with him.
  • Information