Turtle Fight?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Tonight I noticed my RES Penny doing something odd, and I was hoping that someone could fill me in as to what it is.

Penny swam up to her tank mate, RES Lulla, head on...staring her down. She then put her front legs staight out in front of her, close to her head. Her front feet started shaking very quickly...almost a vibration. She certainly looks like shes confronting Lulla, but Lulla wants no part of it. She looks away, or cowers in fear, but doesn\'t look confrontational in return.

Are Penny and Lulla fixing for a turtle smackdown? Is Penny ticked off, and if so, what can I do to moderate?

Please email me or IM me at [email protected], or post. I\'m nervous that Penny might hurt Lulla!

Thanks,
Jessica
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

it\'s the mating dance!

no really it is. if they\'re young, most likely Penny was trying it out for fun. I have 2 turtles that were zapping each other too. watch out for them though.. Penny could also be trying to show dominance.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Well then I\'m guessing either Penny or Lulla is not a Penny or a Lulla. Penny is the bigger of the two so I guess she could be showing her dominance. They always seem to get along all day, but at night, after their light goes off, they fight over the cave I have for them to hide in. They used to both fit, but Penny is such a fatty they can\'t both go in there any more.

I actually have no idea how old the turtles are...I got them in October and they were about the size of a 50 cent peice...now Penny is about 3 and 1/4 inches long and 2 and 1/2 inches wide, and Lulla is about 2 3/4 inches long and two inches wide. I\'m not sure why Penny is so huge...I always watch and make sure that they both eat about the same amount...shes just a fatty.

If you have any suggestions let me know.

Jess
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

If it IS a mating dance...and if I DO have a male and a female...what can I do to prevent them from having little Penny and Lullas? I don\'t think I\'m ready for a turtle colony.
  • Information