PLEASE HELP - I see white spots on my Res shell

Discussions about turtles.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I posted a message about a month ago that my baby res had a small white spot on its shell and someone told me that it may be soft shell, I try taking it out of the water and letting it dry, but he doesnt really like that much, and now i got an additional basking area so that he can bask more and i see that he does, but however, i see that it hasnt helped much because the condition has worsen, now i see that there are three spots that are getting white, one is on the end of the shell, and the other is right next to the other spot, i noticed on the spot where it is really white, you can pull the skin of the shell up is this something i should worry right away? what can i do to stop it from getting worse? I hate to take him out of the tank and seperating him from his home, but is that soemthing that i should do? please help me, I dont want my baby res to get sick or for the condition to get serious. I been trying to read up on it and i dont see anything regarding this, If it helps i noticed that my baby res that has the problem tends to hang out inside inside the water alot, and doesnt bask as much as the other one, could this be the reason?

if someone could answer to this right away it would really be great

or email me : [email protected]

Thanks
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

I think you do have something to worry about here, not to get you all excited. SOunds like a case of shell rot to me, and it can be very serious. Any time I have had a turtle get shell rot as a youngster the turtle did not last. If you take it to the vet, they can give you medication, and keeping an all purpose shell sealant on can help also, like some Tetrafauna\'s VITASHELL. This may work, keep us posted.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If it is shell rot, you should not seal it in with anything; the shell needs to breathe. I`ve seen pictures of what VITASHELL can do--it`s bad news. Please don`t use that stuff. Taking your turtle to a qualified vet, who would decide what to use would be much better.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

How can i find out where is a nearby Herp Vet in my neighborhood? can you show me how i can search for one? and how much would the visit cost about?
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

All you have to do is go through your yellow pages,ask vets if they take reptiles, or if they can suggest someone who does. Then ask them what a basic check up costs. WHat have you seen vitashell do? Its just a lotion.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If a turtle has shell rot, it`s often because it has not been basking enough under proper lighting. You want air to reach the infected parts, not seal them in so the bacteria can continue to grow...
Last edited by mariza on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry about the double posting but in the past i would post in one and they didnt reply as quickly but sometimes i post in both and i get a response right away.

Thank you , i have found some vets in my area.
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

There are 3 possibilities that it could be.
1. Mineral Deposits
2. Shell Rot
3. Shedding

Here is an in depth guide about it: https://www.allturtles.com/white-spots- ... les-shell/
  • Information