sick turtle?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
db02
Level 1
Level 1

i just got my baby turtle close to a month ago. hes been doing fine but tonight i noticed that he seems sick? he hasnt been eating much, and now he just sits around and hardly moves. most of the time when i came up to his tank ( before i noticed him being sick) he would hide ...i think because hes still not use to us yet. also, hes been spitting up?..he gets a big air bubble kind of thing in his neck and then he spits out some white-ish spit looking foam. another thing that worries me is that when i pick him up he doesnt move...he doesnt try to hold up his head...this isnt like him at all<hes usually very active. does anyone have any suggestions for my baby turtle?
Last edited by db02 on Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

He sounds like he may have a respiratory infection. If he inactive and not eating, you should take him to a herp vet. www.arav.org/USMembers.htm may have one near you if you don`t know of one. Until you get him to one, keep him out of drafts and breezes, raise the water them to 83-84F and the basking area to about 92F. The sooner you have him seen, the better his chances for recovery will be.
Last edited by mariza on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
db02
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for the advice!
db02
Level 1
Level 1

thank you again for your advice , but larry died this morning ...we were going to take him to the vet tomorrow since they were not open today...i wish i wouldve known that he was sick but he just started these symptoms that night...also larry was a baby ( we have been told that he was too small to be sold to us , and that the pet shop that sold him could get in big trouble for selling turtles that small.) do you think that couldve had anything to do with him getting sick...it all happened so fast.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A turtle may be sick for quite a while and show virtually no symptoms (if it did, in the wild it would quickly become prey). Once symptoms present themselves, however, time is of the essence in getting proper treatment, or they will quickly go downhill. It`s very possible your turtle was already sick when you got him. If you choose to get another one, it would be good to read up on proper care as well as common illnesses, so possible problems could be averted. Sorry for your loss.
Last edited by mariza on Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information