help - open mouth

Discussions about turtles.
thewrath

The turtle just got his light today. I know that he has not been doing well, but I have been monitoring him for about two weeks before today and he never open mouth breathed until today when he got under his new basking light. He does it every 10-15 miutes or so, and not while in the water, just while basking.

Is there a possibility that he is just relishing the warmth, or is it most likely that he has a resp infection?

Im worried, because he\'s my employer\'s turtle, and I doubt that they will want to pay the cost of a vet trip. THANKS.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

Most likely, if the turtle has a lung problem, it will be blowing bubbles out of its nose, and wiping them off. Most but not all of teh respiratory problems, or general lung problems will cause this, and with out a trip to the vet, it may get worse.
TerrapinForLife
Level 1
Level 1

My RES did that when I first got him...id be woken up in the middle of the night and he\'d be on his rock with his mouth gaped open and sounded like he was screaming, although it sounded more like a small cat meowing. Best thing to do is just make sure the temps are all right in the water and basking spot and if it continues you should see your vet.
thewrath

There are no bubbles coming out of his nose, just the gaping on occasion. The water is pretty cold, its a pretty sizeable pond indoors so I\'d say the water is about 65 (guessing). They never gave him a heat source, so now with the basking light he has at least heat from there (it gets to be about 90 degrees there. He has plenty of rocks to climb out of the water in several areas, including under the light now.

What I mean as in \"not doing well\" is that he has fungal growth on one foot, and the other leg, and a little white spot on his shell (shell rot?). Also he never eats, which I\'d attribute to the temperature issue.

I don\'t know how long they have had the turtle as I have only been working there since mid January, but I hear from some people that it\'s not the first turtle they\'ve had :( I\'m going to see if he\'s doing better tomorrow, as I havent been to work since last week (I work P/T there). He seems alert enough at times, but not as much as he should be (again temperature). He also seems waaay too skinny in his neck (I noticed while he basked). If this one ends up dying, I\'m going to do everything in my power to make sure that they don\'t try to put another turtle in there.
  • Information