What do you do when your RES doesn\'t bask?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TerrapinForLife
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I moved my RES into a 20 gallon tank and he never basks. I\'ve got the bulbs situated over the basking area and it is about 85-90 degrees, water is around 80-85. Theres a rock ramp leading up to it, so accessibility shouldn\'t be an issue. He just sits/stands under the basking platform away from any light.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

im no expert but i htink your turtles just getting use to the new area. everything is unfamiliar to it. try setting it there whenever you can for awhile and let him get use to it. in time he\'ll hopefully love it!
TerrapinForLife
Level 1
Level 1

You would think that would help but he kicks and claws whenever he\'s touched inside the tank. I\'ve put him on the platform and he bolts back into the water, usually ending with a comical event of him smacking the glass and trying to swim thru it.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

If it continues to stay in the water, you can try to lower the water temp by a few degrees. This might make your friend bask again!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Your RES is healthy? If so, lower the water temp to 78-79F. There should be a 7-10 degree difference between the water and basking area to encourage a turtle to bask (for the warmth). The water temp. should also be constant and shouldn`t fluctuate 5 degrees like yours is. Water temps in the low to mid 80`s are for when a turtle is sick.

You didn`t say when you changed to the 20-gallon, but if it was really recently, he still also may be adjusting to the change.

I say a 5 degree fluctuation because the heater i have is actually for a 10 degree and can not heat as much water as I have to the setting it is at. I put him in the new tank 2 weeks ago

Also, I\'ve tried lowering the temperature in the past, he still stays under water and think its time to hibernate
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`d get another heater (5 watts per gallon of water) appropriate for the size of the tank (20 gallons = 100watt heater). If your heater is too small for the tank, it has to work harder to heat the water and can`t keep it at the proper temp.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I had a problem with my turtle not basking. I placed a towel over the side of the tank, hiding the basking area from view. I left the swimming area exposed. I have caught him up there a lot since then. I think he is just \"shy\" about basking in front of anyone. He can\'t see anyone in the room, but I can peek around to see if he is up there.
  • Information