baby RES not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
2panda

This is my first turtle and she\'s only 1.5 inches. (illegal size, I\'ve found out). We\'ve only had her for a week and she\'s eaten about 2 food sticks total. I\'m worried and wonder if anyone has experience with these babies. Thanks.
herpgirl85
Level 1
Level 1

I have a baby RES as well, I got him when my friend couldn\'t keep him anymore... At first he wouldn\'t eat because I guess change can freak them out... He eats like a pig now. Just keep trying for a little longer... Also, do you have a UV heat lamp? Supposedly they simulate the sun and the rays they need to help them digest... Hope that helps, Good luck!:)
2panda

Thanks for your encouragement. I do have a UV heat lamp. But I don\'t have a water heater yet. It\'s on order from BigAlsOnline and should be here in another day or so. I think that might help.Just yesterday I got her 3 feeder fish. It took her a few hours, but she did take a bite out of one (it was already dead when I put it in her tank). She can\'t swim fast enough to get the live ones. I\'ve been reading other messages and concluded that they take a few weeks to a month to get used to the new environment. I guess I\'ll just stop pestering her and let her chill. Thanks again.
ponyboy
Level 1
Level 1

hi there
My lover brought home two res\'s in a little and I do mean little tank he got from the streets in nyc. I found out that they were illegal. I ran out and bought mind you at 8pm a 10 gallong tank rocks heater every thing.
The first week both wouldn\'t eat at all. I freaked out and bought krull and that screwed up the tank. In time they started to eat :)
roy
Crystal

Hi, I just got a turtle a week ago at a street fair in NY,I did a search on line and compaired him to some pics and he looks like a baby res,since I got him home he hasn\'t eaten at all I put pellets, carrot slices,apple slices, romane lettus,and he couldn\'t be less interested.On top of all this he keeps burying him self in the dirt in his tank.If i didn\'t keep un burying him to try and get him to just look at the food to see it\'s there he would probably stay buried. I tryed leaveing him alone for two days and he didn\'t unbury him self through out that entire time.I\'ve called up every vet in my area and their practise don\'t include turtles.Any information that any one could provide I\'d be greatful for. The last turtle I had was 14yrs ago and he was full grown when we got him,so you can see I\'m very rusty in this area.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

My baby snapper didn\'t eat for the firts few weeks either. All what I did way put a blanket over his tank so he couldn\'t see me and then jroped the mealworm in and he ate it, He\'s been eating this way for a month!
Willie
jeepin247
Level 1
Level 1

I just got my little RES to eat. I fed him chicken and he likes it. I have tried lettuce, apples, carrots and tomatoes! Chicken is the winner!
pomika

Watch out how you feed your turtles chicken. Go on redearslider.com and they tell you all about giving them too much protein.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

If you didn\'t have a heater, that could have been a big problem. She might not have eaten because it wasn\'t warm enough. Once you get the heater, and she settles in, she should be fine. I think chicken is ok to feed turtles, as long as its not too much. Its high in protein, which is what young turtles need. Most things in moderation are ok, but once they get older they shouldn\'t be given nearly as much protein.

Good Luck!:)
  • Information