bigger turtle bullying the little one

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ringopan
Level 1
Level 1

I have two RES. I\'m not sure how old they are, but one is about 1 1/2 inch and the larger one is a little over 2 inches. I also do not know the gender of the two turtles.

When i first got them (about 6 months ago) they got along fine. However, lately the larger one seems to always be hassling the smaller one. It would follow the little one around and stick its head out and get really close to it, as if it wants to bite it. It just sticks its head out and stares really closely...it seems intimidating. It also sits on top of the little one and doesn\'t let it go up for air sometimes.

I separated the two into different tanks. Should i keep them separated permantly? Is this just a phase? Anyone know what\'s going on?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you had them in a too-small tank, you could get one that`s an appropriate size and try them together again (have places they can go to for privacy and to break up their sight lines so they don`t look at each other all the time). But if you do this and they still don`t get along, they`ll have to be separated permanently or else one of them is likely to get hurt.
Last edited by mariza on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information