My Turtle died! What about the other one?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
miss_quoia
Level 2
Level 2

In October I bought two baby res (Donnie and Mickey) Recently Donnie passed away. I\'m not sure of the cause, but he was under the filter (where he played sometimes) Mickey has been very depressed, but I think he is coming around. I noticed that the bottom of Mickey\'s shell looks purplish and that he has a few brown spots...What should I do?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Had Donnie been sick or do you think being under the filter was the cause (could he have gotten trapped and drowned)? If he had been sick, it would be good to thoroughly clean out the tank and its contents. Use a very weak bleach solution, but rinse everything REALLY well before refilling the tank with fresh water.

Is Mickey active? Does he eat, swim, bask? Can you post a pic of the plastron? If you gently press on the purple-looking area, does the color go away but come back (like blood is trapped underneath)? If so, it could be an infection and he would need to be seen by a herp vet. I don`t know about the brown spots... If you`re concerned, taking him to herp vet would be the best thing. Try http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm for starters to see if there`s one near you. Good luck.
miss_quoia
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks! I think Donny may have gotten stuck under the filter. Immediately following the incident Mickey was very depressed. He barely swam, he ate pretty well, but he wouldn\'t bask and he got really scary. Now he\'s back to pretty much him old self. He\'s still a little scary though. I have noticed that he\'s yawning a few times a day. I heard that might be a respiratory infection.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What is the temp of the water and basking area? For a healthy baby, a water temp of 78-80F is good; basking area should be 85-90F. It would be good to check the temps with thermometers and adjust them if necessary. If your turtle is kept in an environment that`s too cool, he will be prone to getting a respiratory infection. I would keep an eye on the yawning. If it increases but he`s still eating and active, up the temps a little more (82F for the water, 92F for the basking area). The warmth would boost his immune system and allow him to fight any infection. If you do this and he doesn`t improve/shows more symptoms, it would be wise to find a herp vet from the previous link and take him to see one. (It would also be good to have the plastron checked out if you`re unsure what it is.)

Also, it would be good to change the area under/around the filter so your turtle doesn`t get trapped and drown.
miss_quoia
Level 2
Level 2

i\'m unsure of what you mean by \"plastron\"...also, i have changed them in to a larger tank, so the filter should not be a problem anymore. He is being very active ow, infact he ate the last goldfish today...i haven\'t seen him yawn today, but i\'ll keep a look out...thanks = )
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

plastron=bottom shell
  • Information