Bleached out shell?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 3 inch turt with a discolored shell that has been slowly getting whiter and whiter.... almost like someone has dropped chlorine bleach on part of it! His shell is very hard and there are no loose scutes. He eats the Reptomin sticks every other day along with red leaf lettuce, few mealworms, tomatoes, apple and I put cuttlebone pieces in that he loves to munch. I also have the Reptisun UVB light and the basking light with a 60 watt bulb. The water temp is 76-80 degrees. Any ideas? Is this a possible vitamin deficiency or could he be getting too much light? Again his shell is hard and otherwise he appears to be quite healthy.... just a bleached out looking shell on one side. Thanks so much for anyone\'s help and ideas!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

It possibly could be air under the scutes or such as I don\'t think it could be a fungus or infection going on as the other 2 turts that share the tank are fine.... Thanks so much for your help!! Just needed a little reassurance..... call me an overprotective mom!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Don`t know how reassuring I was. :) but it certainly could be air trapped under scutes that are eventually going to shed, especially if it looks silvery in the water.
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

hey! my turt doesn\'t look like he\'s gotten bleach on his shell but he\'s a tawny, orangy tan colour. i was worried too and wrote to the message board and this is a link someone sent me. it\'s not my turtle, but he looks a lot like him. is this what your\'s looks like?
http://www.elmwoodparkzoo.org/animals/p ... slider.htm
  • Information