basking light urgent help!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

ok im having some troublew with the lights. i keep confusing them. where should the incandecent light be and where should the uvb light be??? incandecent is a normal light and the UVB is a UVB lol but i cant figure out which one goes where. should the UVB face the water or not? and can i put glass under the UVB or will the rays not go through? please help me im completely lost
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have them in clamp lamps? If so, position them over the basking area. No barrier (glass, etc.) between the UVB light and the turtle; have it 6-10 inches away from the turtle. If the UVB light is a tube (like a Reptisun), try to position part of it over the basking area.

The heat source can be regular light bulb. You want it to heat the basking area from 85-90F. Check with a thermometer and adjust the distance of the bulb accordingly to get the temp somewhere in that range (the wattage of the bulb you use will also determine how far away it should be).
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

so basically they should both cover the basking area? ok thanks so much your alot of help! oh and guess wat! myy turtles are learning to swim. theyre at about 3-4 inches now and theyre learning. everynow and then they mess up or go crazy in the water but 1 of them in a BEAUTIFUL swimmer and the others are learning. thanks!
  • Information