salmonella PLEASE HELP OR ELSE I HAVE TO GIVE UP MY TURTLES

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

hey. ok how is salmonella passed into people? just from having them can you get it? (like passed in the air also) or would you have to do something to get it? please help. i got sick and my mom keeps thinking its from the turtles. please reply asap!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Most reptiles (and some other animals, even humans) carry the salmonella bacteria. In turtles, it`s in the intestines and is shed in times of illness and/or stress. If you keep your turtles healthy and wash your hands well after handling your turtles or their things, you should not have to worry about getting salmonella. You have a greater chance of getting salmonella from undercooked chicken meat than you do from your turtles.
Jenny
Level 1
Level 1

If the turtle\'s living area is kept clean and free of feces and old food, your risk of contracting salmonella is very slim. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the turtle. This will also reduce help to reduce the risk. As with any reptile, if the turtle lives in a dirty, unkempt area, the chances of contracting the illness are greater.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

ive heard that you can contract it if young turles bite you
dunno how much truth in that there is, tho
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

No truth to that, Grifter.
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

Be nice to your turtles, and they will never bite you!;)
  • Information