Help My RES is very sick!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Xtania X
Level 1
Level 1

I have been baby sitting my friends two RES turtles for about 3 months now. I think she had them about 6 months before that. When she frist \"gave\" them to me they were in a little tiny tank. I felt bad for them and bought them a 20 gallon tank, heater, filter, UVB/UVA light, and a basking area. We also purchased them little feeder fish for them to eat. They loved them and would chase them around all day. I just went away for 3 days and a roommate cared for them. When I came back one of them was dead and already decomposing and the other one is in seriously bad condition. I picked it up and nearly squished it because its shell is so soft. I do not think its eating, and its barely moving. I do not know much about turtles and do not know what to do. I moved it out of the tank back into the little one it came in. It is just kinda of sitting there. It has half water and half land. PLEASE someone help me! Is it the fish that is making it sick? Should I take it out of the water and let it dry out? HELP!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If the shell is that soft, your turtle has metabolic bone disease (aka soft shell disease). It sounds like your turtles did not have a UVB light (was it by chance a Zoo-Med basking bulb? If so, they received no UVB rays), or, if it was, the light was old and had stopped giving off sufficient UVB rays (needed to be changed). It`s difficult to reverse the condition when it gets to that point, and taking your turtle qualified herp vet would be the best thing to do (calcium injections, possibly). If you don`t have one, try http://arav.org/USMembers.htm for starters to find one near you. Please read the information at http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/mbd.html to find out what you can do to make the poor thing more comfortable.
Last edited by mariza on Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

it is probably not the fish, but most likely is that your friend didnt treat them or care for them properly. why else would the other one have died all of a sudden when they were perfectly normal when you left? soft shell is a sickness. im gonna go look up the treatement and get back to you in my next post.
Xtania X
Level 1
Level 1

Actually the UVB light was new as of about a month ago, It was definitely the real deal. Its been about 4 hours out of the his tank and he is moving around a little bit, still not eating. I hope moving him out of the other tank is not stressing him out too much. Do you think it is a good idea to have moved him. I think the other conditions were toxic so maybe the little stress is better then the alternative?! I am just so worried about the little bugger!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Please read the link about MBD in the previous post. It will give you info on how to take care of him.
Xtania X
Level 1
Level 1

Well I took the little guy to the vet today. His soft shell is caused by a lack of calcium (MBD). The vet gave me calcium to feed him through a dropper every 3 days mixed with kitten milk replacer (because it has a lot of fat and protein). Also REP-CAL to put on his food, if he decides he wants to eat. He is about a year old now, and still about an inch in diameter. So, his stunted growth and his soft shell are all probably from how he was treated before. The vet gave him a 50/50 chance of living. The cost of the visit was $44, and with the medication it turned out to be $71. Two thumbs up for the ladies at Heritage Hill Veterinary clinic in Medfield MA!! They were all just so caring and helpful. If you live in the Boston area definitely a good place to go!! Thanks for your advice! and lets keep out fingers crossed!!! Ill post with an update on his condition.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`m so happy you took him to a vet! It really was the best thing to do, and will give him the best chance of recovery. I`m keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping to eventually hear some positive news. Good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

BTW, what are you feeding him? Giving him some softened Reptomin Baby would be good. The Rep-Cal is very good, but it won`t stick on the pellets. If you moisten the pellets and put them in a plastic bag with some Rep-Cal, shake it until the pellets are covered and let them dry before giving them to him, some of the Rep-Cal would be absorbed (and stuck on) the pellets, which would increase his calcium intake a little more. When he gets eating you could try to handfeed him moistened pellets dipped in the Rep-Cal.
Xtania X
Level 1
Level 1

RIP little turtle. I did everything I could do to save him, but he didnt make it through the night. You think he would have tried harder after all the money I spent on him to save him. *sigh*. Well farewell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz I hope your afterlife is better then your life here!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`m really sorry. You tried your best, though, and I hope you can take some comfort in that.
  • Information