Lady

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
noelle

Hi there everyone, my son found our turtle outside our church door a week ago and we brought her home. She is a res and she is about 12 inches long maybe a little bigger we put her in our back yard as it is very damp back there with lots of weeds and brush for her to hang out in. She burrows under a large weed most of the time but comes out everyday around ten and cruises the back yerd I imagine this is her basking time. I have tried to give her grapes, lettuce, tuna, and she doesn\'t seem that interested, although she may have had some of the tuna while I was not looking. I read on this site today though that it is possible she is more interested in plants now that she is older. My questions are, Should I keep trying to feed her various veggies, meats or should I leave her to look for stuff on her own? (as my back yard is undoubtedly jam packed with lucious bugs and weeds.) And I have a little wading pool approximately 5feet in diameter for her which I de-clored, I was putting her in it daily then I figured I ought to let her choose to go in it on her own. She does not seem especially interseted in it. Should I let her alone about it or keep putting her in it. lastly do you have any approximation as to her age based on the size? Thank you for whatever help you can give.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Age cannot be determined from the size; size is related to genetics, nutrition as well as other factors (captive turtles often grow more quickly than their wild counterparts due to a greater abundance of food and more protein in the diet.

Is there a way she can easily get into the pool on her own?

Have you thought about what you`re going to do with her when winter comes? She cannot hibernate in a kiddy pool.
noelle

Thanks for your quick reply.
My husband cut an area out of the side of the pool for easy entrance and exit she sometimes perches on the mud ramp that we made leading to the opening. I just don\'t see her in the pool of course I don\'t watch all day long.
As far as hibernation is concerned I figured she would dig herself a hole in my backyard during the winter am I incorrect in this assumption.
I am trying to allow her as much of the natural life as possible we try not to interfere with her routine.
I took her home because where she was when my son found her was a dangerous place for a turtle to be so close to a parking lot and and a highway.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

After I wrote this, I began wondering if she wasn`t a pet that someone let go because she got too big. Is it cold enough where you are now so that wild turtles would still be hibernating? Does she seem used to people? If so, you might try some turtle pellets (like Reptomin). (But she eventually will still need a bigger habitat than she has now.)
noelle

She does not seem to be used to people. At least she never seems very social with us. she goes back into her shell when we come out to the back yard. As far as it being cold here I don\'t really think so I live in Houston and we are having warm springtime weather. I know of a perfect pond to release her in if you think that is the best thing we can do for her. I have had her only a short time and yet have grown to love her so I want what will be best even if that means releasing her.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you don`t keep her and still want a turtle, consider taking one from a rehoming/adoption agency. There are many turtles whose owners have given up on them who are looking for good homes. If you do, read up on their care first so you know how to provide a good home for it. Good luck with your decision.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information