night time and other questions

Discussions about turtles.
ritapita
Level 1
Level 1

AT night, is it ok to turn off the aquarium light or should I kepe it on for heat. At the moment I the water is a at 70 degrees... i justput heater in today. The light bulb that came with the aquarium says natural day light\" on it. Is that good the the turtle? People have said that a desk lamp could be used as a basking lamp? How does this work? Do you just shine it through the glass or what? Sorry if i said a bit naive, i just want to have healthy little babies.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Healthy babies need warmth...and 70 degrees is not warm. The water temp should be 78-80F;I don`t know what kind of water heater you`re using, but it should be fully submersible and it would be good if the temp could be regulated by you. If you keep them too cool, they`ll become inactive, won`t eat and be apt to get respiratory infections. They need to sleep in the dark and should have comfortably warm water to sleep in.

They need to be able to get out and bask under proper lighting. This means:

1. They need a UVB light; this light mimics the sun, giving off UVB rays which a turtle will absorb to create Vit D3. A turtle needs the Vit D3 to be able to metabolize the calcium in the diet for a healthy shell. Without access to UVB rays, a turtle`s shell will become soft and if not corrected it will die. The UVB light should be no more than 12 inches away from the turtle (6-8 inches is best) and there should be no barrier (glass, plexiglass, etc. between the UVB light and the turtle--such barriers filter out UVB rays. UVB lights are flourescent and don`t give off much heat. (I would make sure that aquarium light gives off UVB rays; it should specifically say so on the package it came in, if it just says \"full spectrum\" it`s not the right type of light). Because UVB lights don`t give off heat, you also need

2. A heat source. It can be a basking light if you want to spend the money or it can be a regular incandescent lightbulb. It should be positioned over the basking area (a clamp lamp is good) to heat it to 85-90F. Having a thermometer to check it would be good.

It would be good if you read some care sheets on RES so you could give them the best possible living conditions. Check this web site or do a web search. There are many if you look. Good luck.
  • Information