Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ritapita
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have just aquired 2 baby red earred sliders. I know nothing about them expect wha ti have read on various web sites. Today I made them a new home in a 10 gallon aquarium. The aquarim came with a natural light bulb inside. I also put a heater inside since i read that the temp should be at least 75. There are some areas above the water elvel for them to rest upon. Whatelse is required for them to live healthy lives?
ritapita
Level 1
Level 1

the water is staying at about 70 degrees, i think i need to replace the heater. Is it safe to let them stay in the water for now? Shoudl I leave the aquarium light son over night for warmth or is it ok to turn them all off to sleep? Please help
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You`ve gotten some of the answers to your questions under your post in the General Discussion forum. In addition to what`s written there, your turtles need:

1. Adequate space--10 gallons of tank per inch of shell lengthwise. If your turtles are 1 inch long each, they should already be in a 20-gallon tank or container such as a Rubbermaid.

2. An easily accessible basking area with the lighting as described in the other post.

3. A submersible water heater.

4. A filter, unless you plan to keep doing very frequent water changes (at least every other diet.

5. A balanced, varied diet. Pellets such as Reptomin Baby as a staple (or the mini ones made by ZooMeds, etc.), supplemented occasionally with foods like boiled white chicken meat, shrimp, pieces of hard-boiled egg white, mini crickets, mealworms, etc. It`s not good to give high protein foods too often, however; it will cause too fast a growth which taxes the kidneys and contributes to shell deformities. RES are more carnivorous when young and switch to being more omnivorous as they age. Along with the other foods, you could try some pieces of romaine lettuce, grated carrots, dandelions down the road to see if they`ll eat them (they`re probably too young now).
  • Information