Slider Eating Rocks

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MyBuddyandMe
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering why my turtle is now starting to eat rocks? I feed him enough.. Is this just something they do to help them break-up food? Please help!!!

Thanks... Russ
Prime
Level 1
Level 1

I could be wrong, but it sounds like he is searching for food. Gravel in the bottom of a tank can be dangerous for turtles because they can accidently eat them and this can cause blockage in their digestive tracks. Usually turtles will spit the gravel out if the get a mouthful, however, accidents can happen and the small rocks can be eaten. If the turtle is big enough to fit the gravel into their mouths, then it\'s time to get bigger gravel.

River rocks are nice, round, and very large. I suggest these. There is no way a pet turtle is gonna be able to swallow these rocks. They also look very nice. :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some say that a turtle that eats gravel/rocks is looking for calcium (they are \"programmed\" to want to eat it for their shells). Buy some cuttlebone (the stuff for birds), take off the hard backing/shell, break it into pieces (I give my turtle head-sized pieces) and let a few float in the tank. It`s a good calcium supplement your turtle can munch on when he feels like it.
MyBuddyandMe
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for all your help
  • Information