Tank help!!!!!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

hi, I bought 2 red eared slider turtles about one month ago. I bought 2 for a friend of mine also because she wanted some. I noticed that she was not taking care of them and she agreed that she couldnt and returned them to me so now I have a total of 4. WHen I bought them they were TINY. about 6/8 of an inch each. they are now an average of an inch each so theyre still small. I kept them in a plastic container that is 11 inches long, 8 inches wide and 7 inches tall. I heard that, for each inch of turtle, you need 10 ten gallon tank!!! thats alot! so 4 turtles one inch each is 40 gallons. I have fish in 20 gallons and 20 gallons is huge as it is but 40 is BIG! for such small things, why do I need a 40 gallon tank? My next question is, since my turtles are only 1 inch each, how deep should the water be? whenever I try adding more water, i get scared that they\'ll drown. please help me ASAP because I love my turtles alot and am ready to put alot of money into them. Even my parents want to take proper care of them. My parents say that if you take rseponsibility for something living, you cant let it go. They dont even let me feed like animals to the turtles because they feel bad for the prey!!!!! hahaha. Please help me ASAP
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

thanks alot for your help! today I\'m heading over to the store to get a rubbermaid. I already checked out tanks and I was thinking of getting one but I;m remodeling my place right now and need to find a place for it before buying it so the rubbermaid will do for now.

I just have one more question. When I bought mine, there was barely any water even in it. My dad told me to add water so i did. it fills up just to the top of their sell. my smallest one is even floating in it which is very amusing to watch. But whenever I add more water and put them back in, they start getting scared i guess and go crazy and find something to sit on. they cant swim in the water perfectly yet i think because they keep trying to find someting to hold on to like anothre turtle. What should I do?

and thanks aagain!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

When you get the Rubbermaid, start with the depth they`re comfortable with (but at least a little more than the width of their shell so they can right themselves if the flip over). Then increase the depth a little more, When they get used to the new depth, increase it a little more. Do this gradually.

Since the Rubbermaid will be a lot bigger, adding places they can rest on if they get tired in addition to the basking area would be good. Plastic plants are a favorite of my turtle`s. Even though he`s big enough not to need them, he still likes to half float/half rest on them. They look nice in the tank and also would provide your turtles with cover so they would feel more secure. Don`t get the cheap kind that have wires in them (the metal will rust); the Petsmart near me has a really good selection of them. If you have a Petsmart near you, you might want to check them out.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

ok thanks! thats helps alot. just one more thing. How big should the plant be? should it be so its completely covered by water and when they sit they\'re kind of in the water still or outside the water? whenever I picture it it seems like the plant will start t lean downward if the turtle was to rest on it? thanks again!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You can just let the plant float on the water so they can hang on to it if they get tired.
  • Information