new RES owner worried about baby

Discussions about turtles.
Candy

Hello everyone! My name is Candy and I am the recent and first time owner of a RES named Squirtle Fez. He\'s an absolute darling but I am having a problem. I received Squirtle as a gift on October 2003. He\'s been absolutely fine until two weeks ago when I noticed he wasn\'t eating his floating pellets. He never had a problem with them before, but recently he won\'t eat them. I checked the date on the pellets and it said \" BB Oct 03\" I realize now that the food was expired. It is difficult for me to get to a pet store, besides the problem that there aren\'t many pet stores in Miami. I read online that feeding him frozen veggies was okay and I am doing that. At times he takes to them well and sometimes he doesn\'t. Squirtle is a VERY picky eater and will nibble a little but then stop. In the past two weeks I\'ve had to feed him very small amounts very frequently a day. The other change I\'ve noticed is that his eyes seem a bit puffy to me. Other people when I ask them do no think so, and feel maybe I am just paranoid. Squirtle is still a baby at about two inches diameter. He has grown alot since October. My concern is if he could be seriously ill. He still eats and is active it\'s just that he eats less very frequently and his eyes seem a bit puffy.

Another issue I have is concerning vets. I did an online search and asked around, and it seems there are no vets in Miami that deal with reptiles.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME????
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Regarding herp vets in Miami, how hard have you looked? http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm has 4 listed in Miami. In a response to Nayshelly`s post \"Turtle not eating,\" two other websites for herp vets are listed. It might be good to check them out as well.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy

THANK YOU SO MUCH MARIZA!
  • Information