Help, I have a question

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Iteza
Level 1
Level 1

Please some one tell me do turtles shed? Mine looks like he\'s shedding his skin, not his shell.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some shedding of the skin is part of normal growth. It shouldn`t be that noticeable, and more so in the water than out of it, kind of translucent and wispy. Excessive shedding, especially for prolonged periods, however, could be due to other factors including temps that are too high (which encourage too fast a growth along with too much protein in the diet), a high ammonia level, a fungus (which can mimic shedding) and certain medications. Is the skin healthy underneath? Has your turtle grown? If so, it`s probably normal shedding.
NCCowgirl11
Level 2
Level 2

I promise that it is ok. My turtles have shed a least 3 times since I go them before christmas. Its because they are growing so fast thats why the shed. It will be aright...along as they do not shed constanly. If you have anymore questions just email me at [email protected] let me know that it is about turtles.
Iteza
Level 1
Level 1

thank you so much!!!! i have asked like all the people i know and no of them new, what a relief! and yes he is growing and his skin looks normal above the water, i can only tell hes shedding when hes in the water. plus they are pretty much brand new turtles to me anyways only about... 1 and a half inches long (his shell)

can anyone tell me what it means when the rim around their shell turns bright yellow instead of dull?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

My turtle has the same kind of rim (bright, translucent yellow). I`ve seen other RES without it, and I think that some turtles have it and some don`t (does your turtle have bright yellow stripes on his shell too?). A varied diet that contains foods high in beta carotene (carrots, pumpkin, squash, etc.) will also enhance coloration, and maybe your turtle has a lot of these foods in his diet?
  • Information