Is my Red Ear Slider cycling down

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Liquid
Level 1
Level 1

I have a red ear slider that I have in a 100 gal tank with some large fish. They all get along well, however my turtle has stopped eating. I would feed him clams, snails, crabs and larg night crawlers, though the slime seems to bother him some. Also I feed him cucumbers, zuccini and collard greens. I have pellets for him but he never goes after them. It has been at least 2 weeks and he hasn\'t eaten. Now is it just that it is the end of Feb going into March and he is slowing down because of the winter months....I really don\'t khow.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

How warm is your water? If it\'s in the 75-82 range then he shouldn\'t be going into hibernation. They sometimes do slow down during the winter but they should never stop eating for this long.
Have you tried feeding him smelly foods like dried shrimp, tuna, or boiled chicken? Try wiggling the food in front of him.
Look out for signs of sickness - not basking as much, swollen eyes, soft shell. Is he also kicking his tail a lot and no poo comes out - sign of constipation? I don\'t know a solution to that.. will have to do some research if that\'s the case.
Liquid
Level 1
Level 1

chanman wrote:
How warm is your water? If it\'s in the 75-82 range then he shouldn\'t be going into hibernation. They sometimes do slow down during the winter but they should never stop eating for this long.
Have you tried feeding him smelly foods like dried shrimp, tuna, or boiled chicken? Try wiggling the food in front of him.
Look out for signs of sickness - not basking as much, swollen eyes, soft shell. Is he also kicking his tail a lot and no poo comes out - sign of constipation? I don\'t know a solution to that.. will have to do some research if that\'s the case.
No his tank is in the 80\'s and there is no swelling that I can tell. and his shell is fine. the only thing that I noticed any change is that the water has gotten a little acidic but I treated that today. he used to follow my finger to the top of the water to take his food but he\'s not doing it latley. Oh I noticed I didn\'t mention that he shares his tank with a dwaf caimen but they get along fine. he has adequet light, the tank has not changed at all. in fact he has continued to be just as active as ever. it could be that I am just not seeing him eat. I keep the tank stocked with snails and fresh water clams and he does on occasion eat them. My only worry is that he may have a parasite due to his diet. How can I tell?
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

bring your turtle to a vet for fecal testing. this way you can be sure if it\'s a parasite issue or not.

for more info on parasites:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/parasites.htm
http://www.drpetra.com/Exotics/Common%2 ... urtles.htm
  • Information