Is my turtle okay?

Discussions about turtles.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Its shell is changing from a green to like a tanish color. Its loosing its black dots on its stomach. It looks like its turning greyish yellowish. Its growing thats for sure. It almost doubled its size after two weeks of having it. It eats alot.

I just bought a 10 gallon tank and I never see him basking ever. So i filled the tank up with like an inch of water and made a bigger basking area. Is this okay?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

a turtle\'s color will fade as it grows. Do you have any pics?
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

No I do not have any pictures I will try to get them. Is it okay if the turtles doesnt like to bask. He doesn\'t seem to ever want to bask. I never seen him out of the water.

Thanks,
jay
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

But generally turtles do bask. If yours isn\'t, it could lead to diseases of the shell.
Last edited by chanman on Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Should I stick him in a box and force him to? How long do they generally bask for? My other turtle basks.. but he is comfortable around me. The one that isnt comfortable around me.. doesn\'t bask.

Thanks
Jay
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

is the basking area big enough for 2 turtles? your other turtle might not like the basking setup, therefore is not basking. I had to force bask one of my turtles too (mostly because he was getting a soft shell) but I found that once I changed his basking area around he got to basking by himself.
I say let it stay the way it is for now. Take peeks at random times to see if he\'s basking. he just might be shy around you. If after 2 weeks or so you still don\'t see him bask, then yeah put in him a separate dry space and let him bask with both UVB and heat lamp for an hour or two a day. Remember not to make the area too hot and don\'t leave him there for hours. He will dehydrate.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

how do you force bask them? you put them in a seperate area? should there be any water in the basking area if you are forcing them to do it, if you see that they dont? one of my turtles i am afraid that i dont see him bask enough, i do see that he does, but i also noticed that he has a little white spot on his shell and i am worried it is signs of soft shell, i changed their basking setup and he tends to bask alot more than usual, but how long does it take to see the white spot go away? if it is soft shell?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Also, you said he eats alot--how much do you feed him, and how often? Up to a year, once a day is enough;after a year of age every other day (for pellets and other foods). Portion size is an amount that would fit into the head, not including the neck. Veggies/aquatic plants can be given daily.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

oh hehe i fed him like 2 times a day about 5 pellets each. I bought the UVB light today and a new setup for the land. I don\'t have the money anytime soon to get a bigger tank. I just bought this tank because it was cheap (10 bucks) at walmart. It seems like they enjoy the size of the tank right now.. They swim around and have enough room and water. My tank is\'t cluttered at all. I\'ll try to a take a picture today. Tommorow I\'m leaving them for a week with 24 -1 (that died) hehe feeder fish in the tank and I\'m going to leave the UVB light on and the blinds up. I\'ve had the turtles for about 2 weeks now. I just spent 90 bucks today on their setup, so they better enjoy it hehe.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Put the lights on a timer (not expensive) so they have a normal day/night cycle would be good.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

also dont feed them too much because it can lead to obbesity. make sure they get plenty of excersize. my baby RES eat about 2 pellets each and grew somewhat since i cought them. but for some reason 2 of them arent eating so im heading over to the store right now to get some other food to try out and also a new tank! yay. its gonna be a glass one because i dont like the rubbermaid.
  • Information