Best Filter??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

What is the best kind of filter to use? Doesn\'t the water level have to be real high in order for some of them to work? Just wanted to hear some personal preferences before I purchase one for about a 60-70 gallon aquarium for my little guys. Thanks!!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have a filstar xp2 that i use for a 20 gallon tank with one 4 inch turtle. The water stays clear for about 3 weeks before I have to do anything. People have commented that my tank is the cleanest turtle tank they have ever seen. I know they make larger filters for larger tanks, I think mine is the one rated for a 70 gallon tank, so for your tank I would buy a lrger one.
Zard0z

critterlover63 wrote:
What is the best kind of filter to use? Doesn\'t the water level have to be real high in order for some of them to work? Just wanted to hear some personal preferences before I purchase one for about a 60-70 gallon aquarium for my little guys. Thanks!!
Ok this is what my two RES live in. 55gal which has about 35gals in it and I use a Fuval 304 it is rated for a 70gal tank. This seems to work very well and has kept the water healthy. If you feed yours fish then slow down the water flow with plastic plants (no wires pls)so fish can be caught and not sucked into the intake. The Fuval is a big canister filter! I would reccomend a canister over all others for RES\'s!
Good Luck and your Turtles are gonna love to
swim free!!
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks so much for your replies!!!! I just purchased a 100 gallon aquarium today( MUCH larger than I anticipated but better for the turts). I will probably go with an Eheim or the Filstar XP3(2 since the tank is so big). Good filters are quite pricey but worth it in the long run. There is an EXCELLENT article on filtration on RESoasis.com that explains pros and cons of the most popular on the market. Thanks again for your suggestions.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I have the XP3 in a 55-gallon Rubbermaid, and it works well. Money is no object? If not, and with the size tank you bought, consider an Eheim Pro 2028 (and with more than 1 turtle, some people add a second filter as well).
Peanut1108
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if anyone has or is using the Zoo Med 501 Turtle Clean Canister Filter? It seems to be a bit cheaper than the Fluval Canister but do the same thing. I have a 20L tank with 2 RES under 3 inches and a map turtle about 2 inches. The water is half full. Any help would be great!
TerrapinForLife
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 20-high filled about 13 gallons and I use 2 Duetto 100s. They help keep the water pretty clean. Also, putting some fish in there every now and then helps, as they go to work on the leftover foodbits and some of the algae
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m using a Fuval 404 for a 55gal tank with 2 Red ear sliders. I change out the media every other month. And I change the water once a month.

Works great.
  • Information