Trying to swim away, but hitting the glass..

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles, Mike and Don for short, try to swim but they dont know that the glass is there. I just got them, so they start swimming away when I get close to the tank, assuming because they are still frightened. Do I need to buy those back poster things that have a fake background?
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

do they swim towards the glass where you are? if it is, it could just be that they see you and are familiar with you and want to beg for food, they do that alot, they are always hungry, its hard not to give in but you shouldnt over feed them
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, they swim away. I don\'t think they recognize me yet, I just got them Wensday :) Im so happy, last time I had a turtle was when I was younger, but he died because an earthquake knocked my aquarium down..:(
Iteza
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles, Pig and Kamoku, that I got almost two weeks ago like to do that. I think they might see the reflection of water and think that there is more room to swim or... they might like to meet the turtle they think they are seeing. My fish used to do that too so personally I think it\'s somewhat normal, im not sure though.
davenjules
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles do the EXACT same thing- I think they are actually seeing their reflection and thinking that there is another turtle there :) Mine just go WILD and swim really fast, up and down, against the glass.
Xtania X
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles did that all the time too. I just do not think they understand that there is glass there. I wouldnt be to worried about it unless it looks like they are going to hurt themselves.
  • Information