Turtle Species?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Shelly

Hi

I found a turtle on a construction site about 3 years ago (in South Florida) at that time she/he was about 1/2 an inch (she took up about 1/4 of the styrofoam cup I had her in) so I\'m guessing she had recently hatched. She/he is an aquatic turtle and she is now about 3 1/2 inches. My question is if anyone can tell me what species of turtle she is? She is very sweet and calm and loves it when I buy her fishes to catch and eat!:-D
I have included some photos of her, her shell has lightened a lot in the few months since I took these pics.

Rebecca
hbturtlesaver

Rebecca, does your turtle have a bright yellow coloring to the underneath of it\'s top shell (called the carapace)? If so, it is the same type turtle I am trying to identify in our creek. I believe they are sliders turtles, but am not certain. let me know. Thanks Linda
Last edited by hbturtlesaver on Sat May 04, 2002 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WlfKnigt
Level 2
Level 2

Most likely it is a Slider. I\'m putting all my money that it is :)
Shelly

After I read your reply I went and looked closely at Shelly, she does have a bright yellow color underneath her carapace.
All of her yellow on her skin has turned very bright almost neon-like yellow and her eyes are striped neon-like yellow and black like the rest of her body... Approximatly how big is the Turtle in your creek?
Shelly is very very docile, like I mentioned in my previous post, she does retract into her shell when something really scares her
but she always stays out when I pick her up and will even eat food out of my hand while I\'m holding her.
Is the Turtle in your creek striped like mine?
Maybe they are a cross between something?
Do you have any idea what type of Slider they both could be? Do you have any info on Sliders that I could look at?

Becky :-D
  • Information