White flakey -like thing on shell?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just got my RES\'s on Wensday, both of them are in great condition, except for Donatello, he has a sorta like white flake on his shell, and I think its slowly spreading. Its like about a centimeter big. I\'m a litte worried. He eats fine too. And also, he digs a lot and sleeps in these small crevaces he makes, is he trying to hibernate? Thanks
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Is the white spot silvery looking when wet? Does it look like it\'s a bubble under the scute? If so then most likely the scutes are shedding. 1 cm long? How big is the turtle?
If it\'s white under water and dry then it could be early stage of shell rot. Soak your turtle in a warm salt bath for half an hour a day and it should go away with time.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm, its yes to all except when its silvery, I need to check on that. And how do I setup this bath, do I put regular salt? And when you mean soak, you mean put him in ALL the way till his heads under water?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It also possibly could be a fungus, which a salt bath would help with. To prepare a saltbath, add 2 tablespoons (38gms, 30ml or 1.3 oz) of either sea or aquarium salt (NOT table salt) per gallon/3.8 liters of water (or 10 gms of salt per liter/quart). Water should be comfortably (not too) warm and deep enough to cover the shell (you don\'t want him to put his head in the water--the salt will irritate his eyes). Let the turtle soak for about an hour each day (a little longer if the condition is more severe) for 3-5 days. If the condition persists or if you\'re in doubt, consult a herp vet.

Do you have proper lighting for them to bask under (a UVB light AND a light for a heat source so the basking area is 85-90F)? If he does have shell rot, proper basking is important to help get rid of it.

If he\'s burrowing and appears to be hibernating, perhaps the water temp is too cool (should be constant somewhere between 76-80F toward the higher end of the range if he\'s a hatchling). If it\'s too cool, you need to get a submersible water heater.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,
won\'t the salt hurt the turtles?? That is not natural to their habitat.
Turtles do shed their scutes though
It\'s nothing to worry about ...they\'ll come off on their own
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If the turtle does have a fungus (seeing a pic would be best), the bath shouldn\'t be harmful if used as was suggested (and if it looks like it\'s getting worse, as was suggested, a visit to a herp vet would be good). Using a low concentration of aquarium salt (not regular table salt) in the tank (following the directions on the box) is sometimes suggested as a way to make the tank water healthier because the salt discourages the growth of bacteria.
Last edited by mariza on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thanks. Good thing you told me not to use table salt! Cause I would have if hadn\'t you told me. He is pretty small though. I have a light, kinda like a neon light that came with the take, does that count as UVB? And do you recommend any UVB, Basking Light, and Heater from Petco, because thats the closest to me. I think I might wait maybe a week to get things because right now my familys having some financial difficulties.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The neon light does not count. You need a light that says specifically on the package that it emits UVB rays, otherwise you\'re wasting your money. If you want to buy from a petstore (on-line is cheaper), Petsmart was selling ESU Super UVB Coil Lamps for $19.99. (Don\'t know if Petco sells them, but if they do they will be more expensive.) Buy a clamp lamp (Home Depot has ones with porcelain sockets) and clamp it over the basking area next to the heat source/basking light (which can be a regular light bulb). For a water heater, look for a full submersible one where you can control the temp with a dial, not a pre-set one. Ebo-jager and Tronic are reputable brands, but there are others. Aquarium thermometers are cheap and good to have to check the temp. Cheapest place for aquarium salt, BTW, is Walmart. Did you notice if the scute looked slivery and looks like he\'s shedding?

Turtles are not cheap pets, and need certain living conditions/equipment to live and grow. It\'s not uncommon to spend the equivalent of 100X the cost of the turtle by the time you\'re through getting them set up. They are, however, rewarding pets and deserve the best you can give them. Good luck.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thanks! Here are some pictures. They are the ones titled \"Pet Pictures\".
http://www.sighost.us/members/eLChiNoLoCo/
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Bump.

Ok I got some aquarium salt and made them the bath. I put Mic. in there too so he can get rid of whatever he has, if he does anyways. Todays the second day.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Are the areas where it\'s white soft?

I\'d get a better basking area, one that they can get on and completely dry off. They can\'t do that sitting on wet/damp pebbles (which will likely shift when they\'re bigger). Being able to get out and dry off is important for their shells (along with the proper lighting).

What kind of light are you using? A Reptisun? If so, they still need another light for a heat source. What is the temp of the pebble area they \"bask\" on? What\'s the water temp?
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Zoomed light, 50 w. And yes they are soft. I\'ll try to see what I can do about a dryer spot, usually the temperature is above 72, unless I turn one of the lights off. And the pebble beach they have I don\'t know how to take the temp there, but it seems pretty warm when I feel it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You have a Zoo-med 50 watt basking bulb? Did you pay about $8.00 for it? If so, this is inadequate and they are probably developing shell rot and possibly metabolic bone disease (i.e., soft shell disease), which is painful and is fatal if conditions are not corrected. They need a UVB LIGHT as well. Please read my previous post to you. I\'m not going to repeat it. The cheapest UVB light I\'ve seen is the one at Petsmart described in the other post. It should be positioned no more than 12 inches from your turtles, and 6-8 inches is best. You need it IN ADDITION to the heat bulb. Get a stronger bulb (even a regular lightbulb is OK) to bring the temp up. See below for the proper temp.

Get them a proper basking area, be it a rock, a brick, a flower pot, whatever (just make sure it can\'t fall on them or trap them)! The pebbles are inadequate for a basking area.

To measure the temp, put it on the basking area under the light, wait a few minutes and read it. \"Feeling it\" is not enough. (You could also attach one to the wall in back of the basking area so you could monitor it.) The 72F temp is inadequate. The basking area should be 85-90F. The water should be 76-80F (your basking area temp is below even the water them and that should be 7-10 degrees lower than the basking temp! Get an aquarium thermometer to check the water temp.

Please correct the conditions for your turtles ASAP. You are ruining their health.
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

woah mariza. take it a little easy how you \"help\" chino loco! you saw the pics of the turtles and they are young, and he\'s asking so many questions, it\'s OBVIOUS it\'s his first experience with them. he came here for help, which you expertly gave, but you also were insulting, which he DID not expect to get when he posted here asking for help from fellow turtle lovers. chino-all of mariza\'s advice is really good. your tank looks clean and your turtles look pretty healthy, just follow everyone\'s advice - especially the heat light- they LOVE to bask and get warm (it\'s their only way since they are reptiles). and you\'ll love watching them lay there with their little feet all spread out! please come back to the message board for any questions you have! take care of them as soon as you can but they are strong strong animals that can withstand a lot. they are not going to die tonight when you go to bed b\'c you don\'t have everything. get it as soon as you can, but don\'t be scared you\'re gonna loose your buddies. you\'re doing good and you\'ll love having your ninja duo as pets!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It was truly not my intention to be insulting. However, I believe I had explained the lighting information to Chino in another post (which could be embedded in another member`s question) and saw no need to repeat it.

I realize that he`s new to turtlekeeping, but to respond with \"I`ll see what I can do about a dryer spot...\" and to say you don`t know how to take the temp on the basking area (pebble beach) seemed, to me, a bit much. According to him, the white areas on the shell were already soft, in which case quicker action would seem to be needed to correct conditions for his turtles. I did not have the impression he was in any particular hurry to do that.

Information/suggestions that I give are based on my own experience and what I`ve read and have been told by turtlekeepers more experienced than I. I spend a fair amount of time trying to give thorough and helpful responses (often repeating myself). If, in my eagerness to see a situation improved I come across as insulting, I apologize.
  • Information