Afraid to eat infront of me

Discussions about turtles.
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

I have a RES and whenever I feed him he just looks at me like \"what are you doing, go away\". He eats but only when no one is looking. Occasionally I can peek and see him eat but only until he notices me and stops. Does anyone else have this problem or is my turtle just shy?
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

my two baby RES does that to me. I\'ve had them for about 1 1/2 month and they are still scared of me. They shrink their heads in when they notice me looking at them and they try to run away from me when i try to pick them up! will they eventually change the way the treat me in time??
Candy

I have had my baby RES since last Oct. 2003. Sometimes Squirtle will eat in front of me and sometimes he won\'t. Once I got him to take the pellet right out of my hand. If it\'s any help, I read online that too much handling can cause a turtle stress. Do you mess with them often? If so, maybe you should just let the babies be!!!
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i think thats normal

at first they are shy or afraid
after a short time they will be swimming up to the front of the tank waiting for food
they will lurk around your hand/fingers if you get near the surface of the water
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles are HOGS, they will eat any time, whether I am watching or not. Sometimes when I feed them feeder fish and they are too fast I have to hold on to the fish and let them eat it out of my hand, because I KNOW they will never catch them.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I know many people say this is normal so i wouldnt worry if your turtle is shy or not with time he/she will come around. My turtle always even as a baby ate his food in front of me probably because he is such a little pig.
Ps. I hope your turtle starts to feel comfortable around you:eyes
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

I hope so. Thanks.
I don\'t hold it a lot but b/c of the small cage he\'s temporially in I have to change the water often.
  • Information