UVA or UVB?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

I have called many vets in my Area about my Sick RES and nobody treats them! I also went to a few pet stores and it\'s not against the law to sell or own RES in our State as long as they are over 1 inch in length. Anything smaller is used for \"scientific and educational purposes only\". ?? Don\'t know what that\'s about! Does it really matter if it\'s a UVB? I went to 3 pet stores in my area and All they had was UVA. One store had a tubular light but it was for a bigger tank than mine. I got a 60 watt Sun Glo brand UVA light that the pet store said they used on thier own RES\'s and it\'s about 8 inches from rock and it stays on for 12 hours. I have it set on a timer. I haven\'t changed the water heater temp. but the lamp is heating the water to about 82 now instead of 80 like before. The turtle has moved around more in the last 2 days than I\'ve seen him move in 2 months. If it\'s the light that still doesn\'t explain why it hasn\'t effected my other RES thats growing everyday! Does anyone understand that? and do I need to get a UVB? Thanks , Kelly
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Yes it\'s very important that you get a UVB bulb. UVB rays allow your turtle to process calcium which wards off soft shell disease.
What symptoms does your turtle have besides being sluggish? If you think it is sick, it\'s better if you separate him from the others.
Do you have a basking area for the turtles to dry off on?
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

other symtoms are gasping for breath and just not growing. He\'s been this way for 2 months and the other turtle seems totally uneffected. They do have a basking area where they can get out of the water. The strange thing is the larger turtle thats not ill hardly ever basks. I\'ve had them for 6 months and the sick one has hardly grown at all and the well one is growing so fast! I can\'t find a UVB light in any pet stores where I am but I\'ve found some on-line at petsmart and other places so I\'m going to order one today. Until then I\'ll use the light I have now. He does seem to be moving around more with that light. Thanks Kelly
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

great. see if the UVB helps. If he does not improve in a week or 2, then it may be vet time.
  • Information