is leo okay???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
emolina

I have a red ear slider maybe a year old or younger. I changed his tank on 2-17 to a ten gallon tank with a rock for basking on one side and room for swimming on the other. I have a whisper filter on the side where he can swim. For a while he would put his hands in it, and it worried me, so I would move him to the rock. He hasn\'t eaten, or moved in the past three days, but is still alive. When I picked him up today he put his head hands and feet in his shell which he has never done before. When I put him down he stumbled over a little, but stayed in uncomfortable position, he is acting very strange is he okay? Is it okay for him to put his hands in the filter? What should I do? Help???!!!
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

What type of turtle is Leo? If you press down on his shell lightly does it feel soft? Was his whole body stuck to the filter or just his hands? I don\'t think having his hands there for a short while will be a problem unless the water intake is very strong. A prolonged stay at the filter might cause swelling if he can\'t get his hands out. If his whole body was stuck to it then maybe the intake is too strong or he is too weak to move away from it. A healthy turtle should be able to swim away.
Take a look at his eyes too. Are his lids swollen. Can he open his eyes fully? Is he sleeping more than usual and basking more often? This is a sign that he is sick - either from vitamin deficieny or disease. Either way, take him to a herp vet asap.
For your setup - do you have both a basking heat lamp as well as a UVB lamp? It\'s very important that you have both. What is the temperature of the water? Make sure it is between 75-82 degrees. You might want to raise it a bit higher in case your turtle is sick. Also, a 10 gallon seems too small for a one year old. How big is he? 2-3 inches? He\'ll need at least a 30 gallon tank but you want to opt for bigger since he\'ll keep growing. Look into getting a large rubbermaid tub as a cheaper alternative.
  • Information